Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Sea Spiders: Six Degrees of Grossification



Australian scientists have discovered what seems to be a couple of new, gelatinous species at the bottom of the ocean off Antarctica. These sea spiders are frightening to me on a number of levels:

1) Despite my affinity for Spider-Man as a superhero and movie franchise, I'm an arachniphobe. Spiders are gross.

2) I don't trust any creature that is literally transparent, because that's just gross.

3) The fluid manner in which these things waft through the deep blue sea is beautiful, yet deceptive, because they are spiders and, therefore, gross.

4) Looking at them makes me think of phlegm. In fact, there's now phlegmy goo developing in my throat as I write this. Phlegm is nothing if not gross.

5) What in the frack are those transparent, bulbous stalk-like things rising out of the sea floor? Did a school of kiddie crustaceans have a birthday party where a stingray dressed as a clown blew up a bunch of those silly twisty balloons? Cuz that shit's freaking gross.

6) I'm nauseous, and nausea is gross.

Read all about it here.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home