Thursday, November 08, 2007

Yahoo! Movies Debuts Valkyrie Trailer

I just watched the exclusive trailer for next summer's Tom Cruise vehicle Valkyrie, the much hyped, semi-controversial (in that the Germans initially balked at his filming in the country on account of his religion) film about the Nazi who said "fuck it" and sought to bring down Hitler.

The film looks pretty good, but it has one glaring bad spot: Tom Cruise sounds more like Lt. Daniel Kaffee than Col. Claus von Stauffenberg. He plays the German guy with an American accent. I'm all about suspending disbelief once I enter a movie theatre (e.g., I squelched my vomitus during Transformers when the old, 70s-era Camaro inexplicably morphed into the new fangled '07 muscle Camaro), but I expect a little more from Cruise. The guy gets paid like a CEO of a Fortune 500 company, but can't find the time to perfect a credible German accent? You'd think the Celebrity Centre might hire a dialect coach and send him or her off to Deutschland for the duration of the shoot. I mean, what gives? I'm hoping that they might have overdubbed his voice in his normal accent for the sake of the trailers and the movie will actually have him speaking like he's a German. If this is how he actually will speak throughout the film, his performance will be an afterthought come awards season. (Now watch him win a Globe and pick up a Best Actor nod).

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home